Sunday, March 21, 2010

This blogging thing

I had this blog in mind for quite a while before I launched it. I didn't want to start anything that wouldn't get fed seriously, at least a few times a week if not daily. So, when I finally did get it going, I was confident I was going to keep up a reliable flow of meaningful posts.

Then life happened. I haven't posted since June. The little bit of momentum I created -- some regular readers, a spritz of attention from some newsworthy companies and a smattering of good feedback -- has evaporated. The personal distractions, which made 2009 so "interesting," have subsided, but I have a heightened awareness of how fragile this blogging thing is.

Indeed, everything about blogging is in better focus for me. In trying to decide how best to revitalize this effort, I've spent a lot of time pondering what blogs can do best and what will never really work very well. When I pick a topic, I'm now likely to emphasize why my commentary or reporting can do justice to it in this format.

Let's begin here: I particularly value good consumer-oriented advice. We live in a world where everyone can be an online reviewer, and a lot of savvy amateurs are supplementing the work of professional experts/writers. So, I read and I read and I read. Yet I still end up spending way too much money on entertainment -- and by that I mean everything from comic books and sneakers to music and laptops -- that disappoints. I think I can step in, as crowded as the field is, and provide some especially helpful guidance.

In preparation for this relaunch, I've been doing some shopping. Analysis to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment