Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A sense of obligation

A couple of other bloggers have given SectorEarth a nice plug recently, and more people are starting to comment -- the true heart of a blog, I think. And yet it has been a number of days since I posted anything. Basically, some family matters got in the way. That's a relatively good reason for temporary silence, I suppose, but I'm unhappy about it. I feel a sense of obligation to post regularly, and tonight marks the start of what I hope will be far more frequent reporting and commentary.

By the weekend, I want to mention the bloggers who have mentioned me -- there's some synergy in what we're doing. And there has been a lot of breaking news with a pop culture slant over the last two weeks. Some of it screams for discussion, so I'll try to ignite as much of that as possible. But at this given moment, there's just one thing I want to highlight: a new book about erotic horror comics drawn by Superman co-creator Joe Shuster, who apparently did the work when he was down on his luck in the 1950s.

USA Today gave the book -- "Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman's Co-Creator Joe Shuster" by Craig Yoe -- fairly prominent coverage in a Monday article by David Colton. Wrote Colton: "What makes the illustrations more than simply a curiosity of the times is the disturbing fact that many of the characters look exactly like Shuster's Superman and Lois Lane.''

Disturbing? Maybe a better word is revealing. Or tragic. See what you think. Head to Amazon's site, where you can get an idea of what the book adds (or subtracts?) in terms of comics history.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is a pretty amazing find! I have been following the exploits of the Man of Steel for over 40 years and this is the first time I have ever heard of this. Even more scandalous than Niven's "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex", this book looks like it will be unearthing a lot of interesting history of the time when Superman started going mainstream.

    I am reluctant to read it though, least my view of Superman be changed forever :-(

    ReplyDelete