Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Watchmen": Re-read the comics before seeing the movie?

My answer is yes.

One of my best pop culture pals batted this around with me before the flick's opening. We agreed: re-read. So my chum on the opposite coast headed into a local comics shop for the paperpack collection.

My pal told the woman at the counter about the plan to read before seeing.

"She was like, 'Oh no, you should go see the movie, because the movie will be good on its own, but if you read the book first it'll ruin it -- you should try to enjoy the movie.' "

My pal: "I said, 'Oh, but I'm really looking forward to being one of the people in the audience who knows what to look for in every scene.' " Clerk resisting sale: "Then you should see the movie, then read the book, then see the movie again."

Among other things, my pop culture ally notes that "She overestimated how much money and time I'm planning to devote to the whole endeavor."

But I think she miscalculated more deeply, too. It shouldn't be so hard to separate the reading from the viewing, with the reading providing an upside only.

The rest of you think?

2 comments:

  1. I'm standing at the bank counter wearing my original 1986 Watchmen pin. The clerk at the next window asks me if I saw the movie. I admit that I'm a fan from way back when the original issues came out.

    I asked her what she thought - confused.

    Did she know what she was getting into beforehand - no idea, thought it was another super-hero movie like Spider-man

    I explained some of the things to her, like why he burnt the symbol for carbon on his forehead (including that it was the symbol for carbon), what the deal was with Bubastis, the Viedt's cat, and why Jon wasn't wearing any cloths.

    She said that maybe she'd go read the book.

    I agreed that was a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now you have me wondering how many of these types of conversations are taking place everywhere

    ReplyDelete