Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Killzone 2: A first reaction

Two hours in and yes, yes, finally a game that looks as if it will live up to its promise.

I've always been sensitive to price as an important part of the review equation, whether I was getting promotional copies from game publishers or buying within my personal budget. Last year, the broken putting in the Tiger Woods game for the Wii made me feel as if I'd thrown money away, and the surprisingly silly mechanics in big parts of "Resistance 2'' (PS3) made me think that the experience was way too expensive for the value. I waited for those games with great anticipation and ended up seriously disappointed.

The just-released "Killzone 2" (PS3) has been on my radar for a long time, and my instant reaction after one session with it is easy to summarize: It appears to be one of those rare games that's distinguished by the intelligent and balanced challenge it presents. Players have to react to smart opposition -- the game's a shooter, if you didn't know -- but on the other hand, nothing early on raises the specter of overly intimidating action. I'll obviously have more to say as I play deeper, and I can't imagine that I won't have some quibbles (the hype is awfully, awfully high around this game). But so far, the game's smarts have translated into gripping video-game fun.

2 comments:

  1. Just read Dean's tweet that you're back blogging; welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Mike,

    Welcome back... you've been missed

    ReplyDelete